Google
 

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cheater, by Michael Laser


Wow, I really didn't think that this book had a lot going for it. The characters seemed very unrealistic to me, from the Vice Principal straight out of Breakfast Club/Ferris Bueller to the absurd and two dimensional Cara. I also was kind of put off by what I read as if not actually homophobic, the really insulting idea that Karl (and everybody else) decided Lizette was a lesbian because she didn't wear makeup and tight clothes like Cara. Blaine (? That's not a name, that's a major appliance!) was also so 2D and unreal - ugh!Also, the great mysterious project unveiled in the last scene? Um, I think you can get it from SkyMall. Mostly though, the book was morally ambigious, absurd plotwise, insulting to women, and demeaning to teens in that it denies them any complexity or depth at all.

No comments: