Google
 

Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Green Glass Sea, by Ellen Klages

Ellen Klages wrote a great book here- I found the story gripping and interesting from the start. Great cover, solid, fast writing, and as Dewey's story becomes more entwined with Suze's, I came to feel these characters were very real.

The setting (at Los Alamos before and immediately after the Trinity tests) was an immediate attention catcher, and the conflicts between the scientists over the ethics of their work seemed like it would make this book a great starting point to intense discussion. I also thought that the female scientists, like Suze's mom, were gracefully brought into the story and the differences between them and the female 'computers' could lead to a great group talk too. Suze's character growth didn't feel forced, and Dewey- what a protagonist!

I enjoyed this more than the score can possibly express- I will be handing this book to everyone who comes up to me looking for 'something good to read'. This book made me want to reread every other book I've read that was set at Los Alamos, made me want to visit that area, reminded me that abstract ideas can lead to devastating consequences, oh, it was a good good read.

The Green Glass Sea

Quality: 10 Popularity: 8 Overall: 18

Winner of the 2007 Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction

No comments: