Google
 

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Story of a Girl, by Sara Zarr


Deanna was 13 when her father caught her having sex with her brother's best friend, and nothing has been right since then- the other kids at school brand her as a slut, and her homelife is bleak, etc etc.
This was a quick read, but I don't think it will grab attention, and I thought it never really went into the anger Deanna was hiding- she was so listless and lifeless. The only character who rang true (to me at least) was Stacy- and her storyline was so sad and hopeless it was a total 'bummer'. I am not sure what "the message" of this book was- was it pro-abstinance? Pro-choice? Was Zarr suggesting that Stacy and Darren shouldn't have had April? Why was there forgiveness all around? I can see teens picking it up, maybe mostly for the title (who didn't get that song stuck in their head?) but can't get really behind it.
Quality: 5 Popularity: 5 Overall: 10

No comments: