Google
 

Monday, October 6, 2008

Flower Confidential, by Amy Stewart



This was a wonderful in depth look into an industry that I have a lot of interest in. When I worked with flowers, of course I saw that the roses came from Ecuador, or that the tulips came from Holland, but never thought about the impacts on local economy or ecology, about how bizarre it is that almost all the flowers that get sold in the world travel through Amsterdam, or had any idea what the auctions were like, or the commercial growers with grennhouses covering acres.

Oh, it was a good read, full of interesting details and images that have lingered- the descriptions of the arrangements available from the b. brooks florists made me drool - a very high-end alternative to FTD or Teleflora that I had never even heard of before reading this.

The book was a treat, and left me aching to be surrounded by buckets of flowers again and to have that ineffable smell of green in the air.

No comments: