Google
 

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sheik Seduction, by Dana Marton


Well, if February is my month to read romances (and I'm slacking), I figured I HAD to read a Harlequin. I was not looking forward to it- I imagined awkwardly written sex scenes and a lot of, well, I don't know what.
This was a big surprise. First off, I lost track of the body count around page, oh, 15. Tom Clancy doesn't have this many firefights and explosions. Secondly, there was a lot of fighting off wild hyenas. (Hyenas in the middle east? must look up). Third, the heroine steals a camel to save the sheik. Fourth, only one sex scene, and not too squicky.
So, that's one thing I had dead, dead wrong. I'm serious- they shot people the whole way through the book, the sheik's remote village cousins all had cell phones etc, the heroine kicked major a**, including bashing a bad guy up the head with a tire iron and jumping from a moving truck, and... well, I don't know what else to say.
It wasn't my favorite book ever, but it wasn't the worst (See First Light) and made me realize that I've been assuming that I knew what these were like and that I was wrong, wrong, wrong.
Also, just checked- there are totally hyenas there. Go, Dana Marton!

No comments: