Google
 

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Duff, by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) The cover on the finished copy is slightly different from the cover on the ARC that I read, and I am really dissapointed at the change. Bianca looks so much more interesting on the ARC.
The premise of this was one I though I'd find irritiating, but the book actually had more depth than I initialy thought.
Bianca goes with her friends Casey and Jessica to a teen dance club (the only really implausible thing- are there such places?) every Friday, until one night high-school playboy Wesley tells her that she is the D.U.F.F. of the group- the Designated Ugly Fat Friend- that every group of girl friends has one.  Understandably, this sends Bianca a little off the rails, but instead of turning into a girl v. girl story, it went in an unexpected and much more interesting direction. One of the few YA books I've read where sex is treated as natural and healthy, and a solid, well written book.

No comments: