Google
 

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fires in the Bathroom, by Kathleen Cushman



Well, this was kind of awful, I thought. It was aimed at teachers, with advice from high school students for how to relate and get better behaviour from them- for reasons I will not go into, I hoped that I might get some ideas for how to... well, I'm not getting into that!

But as well intentioned as it was, and as touching as some of the students comments were, it just seemed kind of useless to me. Most of the stuff in it was pretty high school teacher specific, and of that, a lot of it just reminded me that teenagers really are kind of aggravating and lack common sense. The kid who said if school was all about animals, she'd be interested, because she wants to be a vet, well, really? What about, um, kids who don't want to be vets? And obviously this girl will never be a vet if she doesn't get her head out of her...

Yeah. Anyway.

1 comment:

Miss M said...

while I get where you are coming from and what you mean about the comment on the student who wanted school to be all about animals. I think you might be missing the bigger lesson that the author was trying to impart.

The point I believe the author was going for was that if we can tap into what kids are interested in (and yes, I'm a high school teacher) then we can further engage them. Students will pay attention to what interests them. SO the lesson for high school teachers is get to know your students better and figure out where and how you can use their interests.