Google
 

Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Railway Children, by E. Nesbit


This was lovely- I don't know how I ever missed reading it before! It was actually recommended to me by someone at the library, a lovely seeming Eastern European woman who asked for it in beautifully accented English. I am ashamed to say that I thought at first that she was looking for The Boxcar Children, and she had to tell me about the story. Well, she sold me on the book so much that as soon as I finished putting in her request for a copy of the book, I put in a request for myself!
Classic family story, set in an England of barges on canals, friendly station masters, Doctors who made housecalls, Russian exile writers, hawthorne flowers and buns with icing for special occasions. If there's a heaven, it will be that England, for me. I don't think it exists now, and maybe it never did, but should heaven be real, for me it will be a place with bunches of roses and tea and coal fired stoves and friendly bakers and parcels wrapped in newspaper.

No comments: