Google
 

Friday, July 11, 2008

The Weather Underground



Pretty great documentary about the 60's student radicals. After seeing Across The Universe, I thought I'd check this out, and was glad I did.

Domestic terrorism (Oklahoma City, Atlanta Olympics, Ted Kaczynski, etc.) has really kind of fallen off the radar since 9/11, but it is so much more interesting and complicated than the easy-to-understand rage that so many people across the world feel towards America.

When Americans themselves feel that our nation has gone so far off track that they turn to violence, there's usually something pretty damn intense going on, and the Weather Underground was certainly an intense movement.

I wish there had been a little more reflection, but the movie would have been too long then, and just telling the story of some college students who chose to leave their lives behind and risk their lives and freedom to fight for causes they believed in was well worth it.

I am always so impressed by anyone who believes in anything. I don't know how they do it.

No comments: