Google
 

Monday, August 25, 2008

Talent, by Zoey Dean



Pretty awful YA, but fun except for one thing. I didn't like Zoey Dean's A-List series, but mainly because I thought they were so weak compared to Gossip Girl. I HATED How To Teach Filthy Rich Girls, because it was stupid as a slug.

This had a good premise, 3 Beverly Hills girls, one a surfer, one a wanna-be pop star like her diva mom, and one the daughter of a power agent, who has no talent of her own- unless it's the skill to spot talent?

Anyway, Mac, the agent's daughter, spots Iowa tourist Emily gazing her way around, and decides that Emily has star quality, and finagles her way around until Emily agrees to audition for a part in a movie that Mac's mother is casting. All well and good.

The part that bothered me, is that Mac's arch-enemy, Coco's popstar rival, and the girl whose best friend steals the surfer girls boyfriend, the total bitch of the series, is called Ruby Goldman. It's the only ethnic name in the book. Make of that what you will.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gossip Girl wannabees!

Kasey said...

I'm reading this now
and its good so far
i have not yet to read the a list series
but i am going to in the future
i have read gossip girl books and they are really good :)

Lexi said...

Hi Kasey! I just saw that the newest in the series, Almost Famous is being released today- if you read it, let me know how it is! I have so many books on my list it might be a while til I get to it!
Thanks for your comment!
Lexi

Anonymous said...

omg!! gossip girl is ok, but the a-list series is awesome you guys should read it its amazing i lovvvvve the details. zoey dean is such a good writer so guys read it!!!!