Google
 

Friday, April 24, 2009

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, by Katherine Howe

This was just impossible to put down! Graduate student Connie Goodwin is looking for a great topic and primary sources for her PhD, and has to spend the summer clearing out her grandmother's house in Marblehead Massachusetts. While there, she finds things that lead her into researching events that took place during the Salem witch trials, and the book weaves back and forth through time, telling the story of Deliverance Dane and the Salem witches.

It wasn't 'literary fiction' or what have you- it was a fun, fast read that I finished in one late night. I had just read The Heretic's Daughter, by Katherine Kent- a much more serious look at the witch trials, so I'm not sure how much of my enthusiasm for this book might have been because of already having Salem on my mind, but I really liked having a female character in this kind of pop-fic quest type thing.

No comments: