Google
 

Monday, November 30, 2009

The Sunday Philosophy Club, by Alexander McCall Smith

Well, I've finally read one of this absurdly prolific writer's books, and can't say I loved it. Can't say I hated it either, it was well written, made Edinburgh seem very civilized and appealing, but it was also 1. incredibly slowly paced 2. frustratingly and unnecessarily high-falutin', and 3, I COULD NOT STAND the 'heroine' of the book, which makes me suspect I would not like the rest of the books in the series. Isabel Dalhousie, I want to smack you for your unforgivable nosiness, judgemental ways, condescension, laziness, pride, snobbery, and probably for the way you dress. Also, you are no Nancy Drew - the lack of a satisfying conclusion made me long for a good fast thriller where everyone swears and everything blows up.

No comments: