Google
 

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Ask, by Sam Lipsyte


Fantastic, blistering, astonishingly good book. Milo Burke, a depressed fundraiser for a NYC college has just been let go (tough economy, etc), when an old college friend of his own pops up with millions of dollars, the promise to save Milo's crumbling life by providing Milo with the ultimate "ask", and favors to demand that challenge Milo's integrity and sanity. This was an amazing novel, but wildly, tremendously and exhaustingly depressing. Is that enough adjectives? Should there be more?
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.


(apologies to T.S. Eliot.)

No comments: