Google
 

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Was She Pretty?, by Leanne Shapton


I loved Important Artifacts and Personal Property From the Collection of Lenore Doolan and Harold Morris, Including Books, Street Fashion and Jewelry by her so much that I actually bought a copy for myself after I saw the copy I ordered for the library, so clearly, I had to read her earlier book, Was She Pretty?
It was wonderful.
Her line drawings are so emotionally intense, and although parts of the book are very funny, the whole feel of it is almost uncomfortably intimate- I think the drawings feel closer than the photographs used in Important Artifacts.
Each page has a black and white drawing, and a tiny- sometimes really tiny- bit of text that somehow expresses a story that would take other writers/artists hundreds of pages or miles of canvas to tell.
I'm half in love with Leanne Shapton.

No comments: