Google
 

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie, by Wendy McClure

The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie Touching and bizarrely fascinating account of Wendy McClure's somewhat obsessional visiting of the world of Little House on the Prairie museums, pageants, tours, books, the tv show, and more.
Amazing, actually, that the fantasy of befriending Laura and "showing her" the modern world is so widespread- I had truly always thought that was my own personal (and strange) memory- I remember so clearly wishing so much that I could show Laura things like a washing machine, or even the sink with running water, and not only did McClure have the same fantasy, but she discovered many other people who admitted to the same odd fixation.
I had no idea that so many sites from the books are done up as museums and such now, and feel no need to go to any of them, but it was a really satisfying read, and really well done.

No comments: