Google
 

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Animal Vegetable Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver


I can't believe I almost forgot to add this to the list.
This is a tricky one for me. It was, I thought, beautifully written, but it reeked terribly of smug to me, which is my least favorite reek.
Books about radical lifestyle change for a reason (to build and live in a green home ( Almost Green: How I Saved 1/6th of a Billionth of the Planet, by Tim Glave), to not shop for a year (Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping by Judith Levine), or even not to buy items made in China for a year (A Year Without Made In China by Sara Bongiorni), seem like they can be a tricky thing to pull off. Without a great sense of humor (which Glave and Bongiorni have and share), the final product can read very preachy and reek of smuggery, which, sad to say, this one did for me.

No comments: