Google
 

Monday, March 15, 2010

Mrs. Tim Carries On, by D.E. Stevenson


As wonderful and light in tone as Mrs. Tim Christie was, this book took the diary of Mrs. Tim to a much deeper level. This one is set during WWII, and while Hester is still very amusing, life is much more serious now. Tim himself is on the French front, and becomes involved in the retreat at Dunkirk, while other familiar characters are similarly serving in active duty. The courage to face each day with bombs raining down and even more, to be able to make light of the damn bombs fills me with awe.
As good as The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was, what it's really left me with is a new and massive appreciation for the women who really did what the fictional Juliet in Guernsey did- write amusing columns to keep up spirits in wartime. D.E. Stevenson has my heart at her feet, as does Joyce Dennis. I've just ordered Joyce Dennis' Henrietta's War, and am waiting for a copy of Mrs. Tim Gets a Job. Can't say how much I enjoy these, and how I admire them for being able to write them.

No comments: