Google
 

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Dressmaker, by Kate Alcott

Review from Advance Copy.
This was, for some reason, impossible to put down. I have so many books I should be reading, and yet once I picked this up, I was hooked.
Tess is an Irish girl with dreams of being a fashion designer working as a maid in Cherbourg, who glibs and bluffs her way into a position as a lady's maid on the Titanic, working for Lady Lucile Duff Gordon, a famous New York dressmaker.  Lady Gordon becomes fond of Tess, and after the sinking of the boat, offers Tess a chance to work in her couture salon. Tess, however, is torn between rumors she hears from a sailor she met about what really happened on the "millionaires' lifeboat", and torn between two loves. I can't say what it was about this that caught me so strongly, but it was a quick and absorbing read that really surprised me with how much I wanted to be reading it!
With the 100th anniversary of the Titanic coming soon, I think this will be a susccessful book. 
Pub date February, 2012.

No comments: