Google
 

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Beige, by Cecil Castellucci

Katy has to go stay with ehr estranged father, a 2nd rank punk drummer called The Rat, for a summer while her mother is off in Peru on an archaeological dig. Despite her parents having been huge in the SoCal punk scene, Katy isn't into music of any kind, let alone classic punk. The daughter of another member of her dads band is bribed with guitar store certificates to spend time with Katy, and Lake quickly nicknames Katy "Beige" because she is so bland.

I am a little torn about this book, because while I enjoyed it and it was a quick read, it was very predictable and formulaic. My favorite part was that the chapters were each titled after some great songs I had kind of forgotten about, like California Uber Alles by the Dead Kennedys and the scene in the cd store reminded me of being fourteen.

Beige

Quality: 7 Popularity: 9 (Great cover!) Overall: 16

No comments: