Google
 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nanny State, by David Harsanyi



The full (and rather over-wordy) title is

Nanny State: How Food Fascists, Teetotaling Do-Gooders, Priggish Moralists, and other Boneheaded Bureaucrats are Turning America into a Nation of Children

but that is much too long to have as a title for a mere blog post.

Oh, heck. I wanted to love this book, but I did not. I think maybe this is one of those books where you're in the choir if you're reading it at all, so it has to be a fun read too- no one likes a boring preacher, right?

And it wasn't so much that it was boring at all- if he hadn't been talking about things that just seemed so common knowledge, I could have worked up my fervor for the same topic, and settled in to a great shouting about something I believe.

We are losing our civil rights, and our rights to be uncivil. We are, in many ways, treated like children by the very groups adults choose to represent us as a nation. We are denied the freedom to choose to be "fat, stupid and drunk", to quote Animal House.

But I knew that already.

Nanny State: How Food Fascists, Teetotaling Do-Gooders, Priggish Moralists, and other Boneheaded Bureaucrats are Turning America into a Nation of Children

Quality: 6 Popularity: 7 Overall: 13

No comments: