Google
 

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick



I did not get this book, let me say that first.

It is endless, and for every page of whispery thin text, there are about 5 or so pages of drawings of wide eyed French youth in the 1930's, running around train stations fixing clocks and making small automata out of toy store gears, and everyone is a theif, and it all turns out to be about movies.

It was, for me, a ghastly experience.

I do not like graphic novels.

How the heck do you translate this nonsense into Braille?

And what a waste of time it felt like.

I don't understand the huge, high praise for this publication, why it won awards, why its Amazon rating is 4 1/2 stars after 95 reviews. I don't understand it at all.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Quality: 3 Popularity: 7 Overall: 10 YA

No comments: