Google
 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Bitter is the New Black, by Jen Lancaster



I don't know why I keep picking these up. I think I miss Bridget Jones.

Well, this one is at least non-fiction (ish). It tells the story of an uber-bitch power-hungry corporate vp from a dot.com, who gets, well, blown off when the bubble bursts. She carries her Prada bag to the unemployment office, and then carries on stridently about how they won't take her seriously.

It went on and on, and of course, by being unemployed and having to sell all her handbags, and having to move to (gasp) a worse part of town, and even (double-gasp) having to dye her own hair instead of having a salon charge her $300, she finds inner peace and enlightenment. I am just not buying it.

Anyway, it was quick and breezy, and pretty well written. I am just so tired of these "poverty makes people real" books- Jen Lancaster (post short-skirt-and-long-jacket career girl phase) could probably kick back and keep it real with those "poor girls" the Nan Bobbsey so admired.

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

Quality: 4 Popularity: 7 Overall: 11

(Yeah, I totally took off points for the title. Nice cover though!)

No comments: