Google
 

Monday, November 5, 2007

Damsels in Distress, by Joan Hess



Another Claire Malloy mystery from Joan Hess. Yes, I know- it's not YA. But hey, that's ok. Anyway, I remember distinctly that when I was a teenager, I read books that were not specifically targeted to me. Anyway, Claire's daughter Caron and her friend Inez are teenagers, so close enough.

To be fair, I read this because I was still feeling desperate to read something adult-ish, and I usually enjoy Joan Hess. I like the Maggody books a lot more than the Claire Malloys, and this was no exception. I read it, I like it, it was fine, but really wish she'd write another Arly Hanks in Maggody book.

This one was set in Farberville, of course, where a group sounding suspiciously like S.C.A. (Society of Creative Anachronists) but in the book was called A.R.S.E. (which, eh) was holding a festival, quirky characters, elaborate costumes, swordfighting, ballads, and murder. I kind of enjoyed it. It felt very familiar.

Damsels in Distress

Quality: 5 Popularity: 7 Overall: 12

No comments: